Tuesday, January 22, 2008

What GOD has been doing

Ok, evidently this blog thing is harder to keep up with than I thought, but I intend to change that as our trip gets closer and closer. I can't believe it is only about 7 weeks away!

First, updates. Thankfully, we have been able to get tickets for everyone that works and was within our price range. I was hoping it would involve a stop in LA or Hawaii, since we were going that way, but apparently, we fly over the pole so we will be going from Detroit to Tokyo and points eastward. Alas, not quite as exciting as I had hoped, but apparently a lot of the time will be spent sleeping anyway, so I guess it won't matter. There are people coming from various parts of the US and Canada, so we will meet up with them in different airports, some in Detroit, some in Tokyo, etc. We have become so tight here in Nashville that I was burdened for all the other folks going with us too who are missing this bonding time, but they were pressed upon my heart last night at Bible Study and I want to make it an effort to pray for them specifically. I can't wait to meet you guys!

Secondly, here in Nashville we have started our Bible Study. Woowee is it a doozy! We are working through the books of Haggai, Ezra, Nehemiah, Zechariah & Malachi in only 8 weeks. We are doing an inductive study of the books, which basically means we read our assigned passages of the week daily, then answer as many of the three questions that we can: 1. What did you hear Him say TODAY? 2. How have you seen Him work? 3. Where is the overlap from what we have heard expressed and what He is telling us to do as a body? It was pretty hard the first week (so I thought!) when we started with just Haggai (only 2 chapters) but once I got into it it really was exciting! It turns into an addiction when you start looking in commentaries, dictionaries, etc anything that doesn't make sense to you. I used to get up at 5:00 for quiet time before working out and getting the girls up, but now that is not long enough! I now get up at 4:45 and it still doesn't seem like long enough, so I'm just not sure if I need to get up earlier or try and find some time during other parts of the day. That is a huge challenge for me, but I will be praying about that! Later I will share some of what we have studied. I promise to keep you updated with that, it is amazing what God has been sharing with us from these prophets!

Thirdly, starting Wed, Jan 23 we will begin a fast for 40 days. Along with all the other "new" things I have been doing, this is another one. I have been thinking and praying about what I should do. We are clinging to 2 Sam 24:24 which says "I will not sacrifice to the Lord my God that which costs me nothing." Wow..how's that for a hard one! Last week I had an idea about what I might give up, but now I am not sure. If I don't do that, I'm not sure what I will do. Please pray God will reveal to me and give me the strength.

Finally (for this post!) here are some current prayer requests, from another of our fearless leaders:

PRAYER NEEDS FOR OUR TEAM
~There are members of our team who deal with terrible panic attacks, and carry about in them this weakness. Please pray for complete victory for them over this as we travel and live in Asia for the time. They do not want to be hindered in anything.
~There is a member of our team who has severe motion sickness and is struggling with the thought of the flights and the many hours in the plane. Pray for them to be healed miraculously as part of the blessing of her calling on this trip.
~There are those who are stressed about the time change and the toll that can have on a body who needs sleep. Pray for our sleep on planes, buses, hotel rooms or wherever we are to be rich and full and complete by Him and in Him. He put it on my heart last night to pray for the sleep that came over Adam to come over us each night. That the Lord Himself would put His babies to sleep, and work to help us.
~There are those on the team who deal with physical health… fibromyalgia is one of the thorns that we as a team carry and share because there are those called to this venture and yet live in this pain. Pray for there swift upholding and power to be able by His great hand to do what they could never do apart from Him.
~My husband Russell is going to Thailand in Feb. and is able to carry over a second luggage for us full of supplies. We still need the airlines to give us favor for two pieces of luggage per person. We need the Lord to show us other ways to get the supplies and music equipment over…**Note, the airlines has told us that although we can have 2 pieces of luggage all the way from Nashville to Singapore, from Singapore to Chaing Mai (where we will need most of our supplies!) we can only have 1 piece of luggage. With all we need to carry over (supplies, etc) it is imperative that we get the other piece of luggage over there. I believe they are making progress in the matter, but we are waiting on clear news for certain.

One thing I am looking forward to on the trip is being WARM! I understand it will be quite toasty there in March and I could sure use some warmth right now! Ha!

O:)
Melissa

1 comment:

Hizbride said...

Good Morning my new friend! This is Amy Stewart from Virginia - so excited to hear all that the Lord is doing there - Chris Barden and I have been in prayer and will start the Bible Study on our end as well. Chris is already fasting - I'll start with you all tomorrow.
We are thrilled at all God is promising us for this trip - He is so good!
God Bless you as you prepare - Amy