Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Sweet thoughts

Ok, I will confess that what I am fasting is sweets/desserts. I have been claiming our verse Angela gave us in 2 Sam I will not sacrifice to the Lord my God that which costs me nothing! It has been good to cling to, especially over my daddy's birthday chocolate cake (which I made!) and now with Valentine's Day coming up!

But I wanted to find another verse involving "sweets" to claim, to make it more personal. Here is what I found and what dear Charles Spurgeon has to say:

Psalm 119:103

103 How sweet Your word is to my taste— [sweeter] than honey to my mouth. (HCSB)

103 How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! (NIV)

Your words are so choice, so tasty; I prefer them to the best home cooking. (Message)

103 How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth! (KJV)

Spurgeon

Verse 103. How sweet are thy words into my taste. He had not only heard the words of God, but fed upon them: they affected his palate as well as his ear. God's words are many and varied, and the whole of them make up what we call "the word": David loved them each one, individually, arid the whole of them as a whole; he tasted an indescribable sweetness in them. He expresses the fact of their sweetness, but as he cannot express the degree of their sweetness he cries, "How sweet!" Being God's words they were divinely sweet to God's servant; he who put the sweetness into them had prepared the taste of his servant to discern and enjoy it. David makes no distinction between promises and precepts, doctrines and threatenings; they are all included in God's words, and all are precious in his esteem. Oh for a deep love to all that the Lord has revealed, whatever form it may take. Yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth. When he did not only eat but also speak the word, by instructing others, he felt an increased delight in it. The sweetest of all temporal things fall short of the infinite deliciousness of the eternal word. Honey itself is outstripped of the Lord Widen the Psalmist fed on it he in sweetness by the word found it sweet; but when he bore witness of it became sweeter still. How wise it will be on our part to keep the word on our palate by meditation and on our tongue by confession. It must be sweet to our taste when we think of it, or it will not be Sweet to our mouth when we talk of it.

However, on March 4, when this is over, I'm starting with a white chocolate mocha at Saxby's and bringing chocolate cake to share for anyone who wants to join me! Ha!

God is so sweet!

O:)
Melissa

No comments: